Amendments to 'Tinplate in Wales'
p 10 Apologies to Col Christopher Miers, it is he rather than Mr. Charles Miers' who should be acknowledged
p 26 DELETE from 'Around 1770' to 'seven years war.'
SUBSTITUTE 'Around 1745 John Miers a London importer of German tinplate appeared on the scene doing business with Pytt and Lewis. Soon after Pytt's death in 1753 he joined the partnership, now called Coles, Lewis & Company. In about 1770 he became the sole owner of Ynyspenllwech in the Swansea valley and other works in the Vale of Neath and the Afan Valley. Presumably this was to try to safeguard supplies in the wake of the interruptions of the Seven Years War.'
p27 DELETE from 'He however' to 'Church of England'
p 27 DELETE 'Wire & Tinplate workers'
SUBSITUTE 'of Tinplate workers alias Wireworkers of the City of London.'
p27 DELETE from 'John Miers does not' to 'Fothergill Lettersom'
SUBSTITUTE 'John Miers died in London in1780, having maintained a residence
there despite , it is believed, having taken a lease on Brtion Ferry House
in around 1760 . His elder son Nathanthiel who had been "disowned"
by the Quakers for marrying in Church, ran the family's works in south
Wales as an ironmaster at Neath until his early death in 1782. The younger
son, John, who had been running the London end of the business took over
in south Wales. He died in 1787. In his will he left the Miers works jointly
to his nephews John Nathaniel Miers and Samuel Fothergill Lettsom but
both were under age and therefore did not fully inherit the works until
p 28 DELETE 1771 SUBSTITUTE 1754
p28 After' New Forge' INSERT 'built by John Miers the younger'
p 28 Lettsom NOT Letterson
p28 DELETE from 'thus further' to 'dynasties'.
SUBSTITUTE (new sentence) 'There was already a connection between the two families, a cousin of her grandfather John Miers having married an earlier Capel Hanbury in 1750.'
P 29 DELETE' Lettsom trading' SUBSTITUTE' Lettsom traded', INSERT 'and' between 'Co' and 'ran'
p 30 DELETE 'By the mid' to 'hands of''
SUBSTITUTE 'William Llewellyn had begun working for John Miers and Co as a young man. In due course his family owned almost all the works previously owned by the Miers. On the death of his son Llewellyn in 1859 the Yynypenlwych works passed to Herny Strick, a son in law of William Llewellyn.'
p 30 after 'ex-Pytt forge/ INSERT new sentence
p 30 NOTE Lettsom NOT Letterson
I am most grateful for these corrections and addtional information so kndly supplied by Col. Christopher Miers
Reynolds and Smith advertised the Carmarthen works plus '2 powerful forges' for sale in 1830. Described as capable of producing 500 boxes per week. It re-opened in 1832 as Dawnham & Co
p115 The Grovesend steel & Tinplate Co also owned the Omastele Company manufacturer of 2' x 2' squares of sheet embossed as Anaglypta. This material found some success in public buildings (eg Swansea Metal Exchange) but little for domestic applications. ( Mr K Morgan)
|Now out of print A GAZETEER OF THE WELSH SLATE INDUSTRY, SLATE QUARRYING AT CORRIS, SLATE QUARRYING IN WALES (1st Ed), THE SLATE REGIONS OF NORTH & MID WALES|